Monday, September 28, 2009

Philosophy of Giftedness, Part 1

“Did I miss anybody? Are there any more papers out there? Last call . . .”
“Ms. Barton?”
“James.”
“Ms. Barton. I don’t think I understood the assignment when you gave it out. Is it okay if I bring it to you tomorrow? I think I get it now.”
“What the fuck, man. Did you not hear the woman go over the essay every day last page two-twenty, where we left off week? I think I dreamt about the essay a few nights this weekend. What the fuck in the context of the story how do you rationalize is wrong with you lately? You used to have your shit toge- gentlemen in the back of the room would allow us to continue ther. It’s like you don’t much care anymore.”
“I know what I’m doing. I understand the assignment just fine, I just don’t get why as the protagonist begins to develop a complex relationship I have to do it.”
“School, Einstein. Ever heard of it? They tell us what to do and we do it. Been that way since I was a kid, your kids will have to deal with the same talking heads talking heads in the back of the room would like to participate, I cordially invite we do, they’ll just be older, if that’s possible.”
“I already wrote the essay so just leave me alone. The thing that interested me the most, Ms. Barton, was how the wife was able to get the money together to See what I mean. The wife had nothing to do with it. She got the money by dumb luck. She didn’t work. That was not interesting.”
“See what you mean, what? What are you talking about?”
“I know this stuff. I know all of it. I read this book because it was on my father’s bookshelf when I was in fifth grade. I know the story back- might be mistaken. There were many other factors wards and forwards. I could write the perfect essay . . .”
“You said you finished it.”
“Shut up. That’s not the point. The point is that I don’t think Ms. Barton would even understand what I write down. No one would.”
“Thanks.”
“No offense. I just don’t see why I have to come here every day. Yeah, yeah. I know. School. You said that.”
“You weren’t like this last year. You know, I think and hope you have a nice day. Quiz over chapter seventeen tomorrow. James, I’ll see you do this on purpose.”
“Hey, who ever accused you of not paying attention? They were liars. By the way, it was Jessica in the story who had a problem with the authorities which all stemmed her inability to accept the fact that her father was abusive. If she had been able to . . .”

“James, I am really looking forward to hearing about your experiences with Ms. Barton next year. I know we got off to a rocky start, but I think that you have proven yourself a great mind. I mean that. I have not had many students come through my classroom who are capable of thinking the way you do. You are capable of addressing multiple facets of a situation with a genuine . . . recognize the disparity between those who are capable and those who just need a little encouragement . . . how you were able to work independently . . . products you were capable of creating that I had not even thought of before. Your level of creative reasoning . . .”

“For the first nine weeks of school, your ‘grade partners’ will be both your study buddies and your group-work teammates. You will collamborate collaborate with each other on a . . . sorry, I did not catch that. James, is it? Nothing, ma’am. The ideals you generate in your small groups will help foster a greater sense of accomplishment here in the classroom. Your grade will also be dependent on the work of your group peers. Please make sure my name, Ms. Barton, is at the top of your group-assessment paper before you turn it in. The rest of the 8th grade teachers are following the same regimented program and I don’t want your work getting mussed up with theirs.”

“Okay. Guys. Here’s the deal. We have to study for the quiz on tomorrow. Not on tomorrow, just tomorrow, you moron. Did any of you guys look up the words?”
“When is the test?”
“Tomorrow I think.”
“Don’t we usually holy shit. The fucking test is tomorrow. It says it on the board. Romeo is a tragic hero. His flaw is his libido. Tybalt is neither sympathetic nor have our quizzes on Thursdays?”
“We have the assembly on Thursday for the game that afternoon.”
“Who are we playing? Is it home or away?”
“Home. We never have assemblies for away games. I’m in the traveling nurse represents a need for nurturing, but a stern band. We usually play the home games, but sometimes I have jazz band at the same time but the fault rests firmly in the hands of and we have to go to that instead. I wish our half-time routine was more like Wakefield’s.”
“What do they do?”
“Need any help over here? You guys okay?”
“Nah, we’re good. Just talking about Romeo and Juliet. That was a sad story, wasn’t it? Who do you think was the tragic hero, Ms. Barton?”
“Hmm, that’s a good question. I bet that question is on the test tomorrow. Hope your group is ready. What do you think, James? Don’t talk to me, don’t ask me, don’t make me speak."
“Not really sure, Ms. Barton. I think it could be either Romeo or Juliet.”
“Hmm. Interesting. Who did you have for English last year?”
“I have a headache, do you mind if I go to the nurse you raving moron, let me the fuck out of your classroom before I do something I might
“That’s fine, James. Just bring me a note from the nurse.”
“Back again, James? I’m going to have to get in touch with . . .”
“No, Nurse Ratched.”
“Ratner.”
“Yes, sorry. I mean Nurse Ratner Ratched, I’m doing a survey for my English class and want to find out how English has helped you in your career, if it has at all.”
“Sure. I thought you had another one of your headaches. Come in. Sit down.”
“No, I can’t. I’m just trying to set up a time with you. Ms. Barton asked me to go around to some of the staff here and see if they were willing to participate. If you’d just put your name on the pass and what time you’d be able to meet, what about 2:30. That’s at the end of this class period and I could come back. Yes. Thanks. That will work perfectly.”

“Son. Do you have a pass?”
“Yes, sir. I’m on my way to the nurse. Got a pass from her to return at 2:30.”
“What’re you doing out here on the football field?”
“Something about heart-rate measurement. She wanted to hook me up do a defibrillator and see how that affects my asthma.”
“Really? I’ve heard about that. Have a good day.”
Dumbass. This is too easy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment